Rui ( Rohu) maach fillets (6), scales removed and washed.
Potato ( I big sized)
Onions ( 2 medium sized)
Tomato ( 1 medium sized)
Green chillies (4)
Black cumin seeds (kalojeera) for tempering
dhania powder( 1/2 teaspoon)
Jeera powder (1/2 teaspoon)
Haldi powder (1/2 teaspoon)
Garam masala (1/4 teaspoon)
ginger paste (1/2 spoon)
Salt to taste
Mustard oil ( 6 spoons)
Preparation Time : 30 mins.
Serves : 4-5 people.
- First, marinate the fish pieces with a pinch of salt and turmeric. Add few drops of mustard oil while marinating.
- Heat Mustard oil in a kadhai.
- Shallow fry the fish pieces .
- Slice potatoes longitudinally ( wider than the size of finger chips).
- Shallow fry potatos and keep aside.
- Peel and cut onions in slices.
- Slit green chillies.
- Cut tomatoes in cubes or any desired shape.
- Heat mustard oil. Let it fume.
- Add kalojeera, wait for two minutes till they pop, add sliced onions, tomatos, green chillies, sute until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add jeera, dhania & haldi powder, ginger paste, and cook the masala for sometime in low flame. You could add 1/ cuyp warm water at this stage for the masala to cook well.
- Add the fried potatos.
- Keep stirring the ingredients, until oil separates from the masala. Now add 6 cups of warm water to the masala, allow it to boil.
- Once potatos are cooked, add the fish pieces.
- Lower flame, cover the kadai with a lid and cook for some more time, till the gravy gains consistency.
- Add salt according to taste.
- You may garnish with garam masala or cilantro leaves.
There you go..rui maacher jhol is ready to be served with steamed rice! Try it, am sure you will love it. I just made the same stuff for dinner tonight.
Fish Curry cooked in this way has all the goodness of Indian ground spices, jeera , dhania, haldi, ginger, with each having its own benefits. Cilantro is rich in proteins. Green chillies are a rich source of vitamin C. They are also known to release stress release hormones (endorphins) in the body.Onions and tomatos offer antioxidant benefits. Kalojeera prevents indigestion.
To take care of any excess salt in a dish, add a cube of raw potato or, add two spoons of strained curd to the gravy.